La Cumbra

La Cumbra
LA CUMBRE, MY OFFICE! (DRAWN BY ROBERTO)

PROYECTO SANITARIOS (AMOUNT RAISED TO DATE)

fundraisers

Pages

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Summary of my first two weeks here

Im not up for writing much at the moment so heres a little compilation i put together for you all. Hope you enjoy! If your intersted the backing track is from a Guatemalan band called "Bohemia suburbana" and is called "los sueños de tansú". Great tune



O.K well maybe I should write a bit. First two weeks have been interesting to say the least. I am as you already know currently studying Spanish 4 hours a day for 4 weeks. Its not easy by any means so all those of you who told me spanish was an easy subject to learn, baaaaaa, I understand now that yee didn’t have a clue yourselves ;-)
Though in saying that, I think im slowely getting there.

I arrived in Guatemala during Samana Santa (basically a very holy week in Guatemala), in which the locals come out on the streets in big numbers to celebrate/morn the crucifixion of Christ. If you look at my first movie attempt above you´ll see examples of Processions held in Santa Tomas (where I currently live with my host Family the Liche´s) and in the city Antigua. The Procession itself is an enormous wooden creation that must weigh a serious amount and is carried by the locals through the streets. You will also see many examples of very decorative saw dust carpets (Alfombras). The people actually used the insides of a specific plant, then lay this "sawdust" on the ground and then place the color. It is very skillfully done as you can see from the videos and photos but during the Procession all the Alfrombras are all destroyed by the crowds!!

My daily routine for the first 4 weeks is as follows

7.30am Breakfast and 30min walk to Santa Lucia for School!!

8.30am to 12.30 Spanish Classes

12.30 to 1pm Lunch

1.00 to 2.00 Lucky to get use of the schools computer and internet(this will end in just over a week though!!)

2.00 to 5.00pm I work on a local project down the road. Its the construction of a school building for 150 kids. I will have more photos and vids of this in the coming days. The building materials and construction are funded entirely by donations and I think they´ll be needing more cash soon.

5.00 to 10.00 Walk home, wash, eat me din dins (the food is very good in the host family im with at the mo), study!!!! and then go to bed. Its weird that it might sound early but I have no trouble sleeping. I think that trying to adjust to the new language is very tiring.

As you can also see from the video above, I visited a school in Tactic. The school itself is one of the better ones in Guatemala but the toilets (if you can call then that) are not fit for dogs. I am currently in discussions with local builders and am trying to get an approximate price for separate boys and girls toilets. I will be providing all the details including plan drawings and costs of the proposed Toilets and photos of the originals. I am hoping, with the help of some of you, to raise the funds required to build the new ones. Again all details to follow.

Well that’s about it. I have another week and a half of Spanish lessons and construction work on the school down the road and then I’m off to Chiantla for my permanent placement.

Thanks for reading and please try and circulate this blog to everyone you know. The more people whop subscribe to it the better. It only takes a few seconds and its free!!

Adios for now

6 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing Joe! Keep up the good work and get some more pics up soon. Everyone from the soup run says hi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Una, Hope alls well back home. Hows Jack ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe

    Found you at last - now just a quick question about Poppintree 3! And what did you do with the laptop!!

    Learning Spanish - very impressive and to think you could harldly speak english before I took you under my wing..


    Sounds like a great adventure - keep up the good work -

    Leonard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Joe. It's a bit early, but i'l post some sarcy comments later on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. U still harpin on about Laptops Len?? Uts gone im afraid.

    How are tricks oversees? business booming i hope

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really impressed Joe.Hope all is well in your new location. Greenhouse photos to be posted later. All here send our love.Take care . looking forward to the next skyp. Love mam and dad

    ReplyDelete