La Cumbra

La Cumbra
LA CUMBRE, MY OFFICE! (DRAWN BY ROBERTO)

PROYECTO SANITARIOS (AMOUNT RAISED TO DATE)

fundraisers

Pages

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

DAY 26
PACAYA

Hey All

Just a quick update with a few photos. Things are going well so far. My Spanish is improving slowly and I'm now able to speak to my teacher Alex without using English (more or less!!!).

The weather over here is crazy at the moment and I think that the rainy season is starting a month early!

I visited and climbed the active Volcano Pacaya last Saturday. It was an interesting experience to say the least. There are two tours a day (6am and 2pm) from Antigua (1.5 hours by bus). I chose the 2pm tour. Bad Idea!! Going up was grand but coming down, not so grand!! Have a look at the photos below. There was no health and safety of any kind to speak of and on our decent, the heavens opened up on us. It was pitch dark and we had 3 torches between 12.

All that said it was an amazing experience but if anyone ever tells you they're going to climb Pacaya, tell them to opt for the 6am tour! A guide and a tourist were killed the day after I was there!! Scary stuff.



BLOW HOLE, PACAYA STYLE ( WOOD BURNING OVER IT)


GOING UP!



SCARY!!
THE CARAVAN


HEALTH AND SAFETY?

MAGMA!

ANOTHER BLOW HOLE (VENT)



LORD OF THE RINGS!

No comments:

Post a Comment